Sunday, March 22, 2009

Life is Good!

It has been an AMAZING weekend!! Acacia is already a champ!!!! First she was a mudball and Saturday was warm enough to attempt a bath. So we did. And she LOVED it!! She liked it so much she ended up playing and drinking from the hose. See the great thing about water as a training tool, is that you can stand at a safe distance and they can kick and kick at it, yet water never goes away. IT teaches them so much about being touched all over... She loves her stall too now and wasn't too keen on coming out at first but in the end she was a rockstar!!!

Sunday was a HUUUUGE day! She stands and is super gentled now... So I decide to push the envelope a bit more and bust out the clippers... She could care less!!!!! She has a nice clipped muzzle and bridle path!! The clippers were loud too, but her curiosity was way too strong for her not to check them out... I was so shocked and beyond thrilled that she let me clip her face!



Next task was me throwing my coat all over her. Again there was no reaction as long as I let her smell it first, she didn't care.
Last but not least, she has NO fear of tarps, she finds them fun and interesting... Now that took some coaxing at first, but she walked over the tarp within 2 minutes tops!!!!



She is so damn funny, because when she gets scared now, she just shoves her muzzle into my
shoulder and
says "HELP IT SCARES ME!
But I know you wil
l keep me safe!!"


Yeah, I am falling in love FAST and hard...





15 comments:

  1. Maybe I missed this somewhere, so forgive me if I did, but what happens at the end of the training period? Does she go back to someone? Does she get sold? Do you keep her?

    So glad you're having good luck with her. She is adorable and sounds like a major sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She gets auctioned off, I can buy her back... but yeah... thats it... :( ugh it's killing me already LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how fast your progress has gone! However, I've heard horses with little to no training can actually be easier to start and react the way she is, once she trusts you. Thanks for blogging about her - I find it very interesting and wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh what a little champ! She's going to be so dang awesome that you know we're going to have to bring her back home with us!! (yeah, just what we need, another horse!! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww *cuddles Acacia* I think your going to have to keep her... she seems like she's just too perfect to let someone else have...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW dang it!!!!! And it's killing me!!!!! LMAO!!! I'm going to have to put a "buy Acacia" fundraiser thing together!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think she's found her home. Safe with you.
    Hint, Hint, Hint.

    Great work you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, if I were you I would keep her. Your first mustang. I don't know what part of the country you are in but you should be able to get her at auction - I can't imagine it will be too much given the market and the type of horse.

    Keep her keep her keep her. I know I'm being a bad influence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mwuahahahaahaa I know!! It's just going to depend on how much $$$$$$ But yeah it's slowly becoming the plan... Hahahahaa!!! Last Western States MM there was over 5,000 people there....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow- she is doing wonderfully. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hah, you might as well start saving now. Like I told CNJ, the only way to beat temptation is to give in to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting a blog for her! I've been following, and she is a wonderful little mare! Can I add my vote to the "Keep Her" group? ;-)

    I grew up in Nevada, so one of my childhood dreams has been to adopt a mustang one day... For now, I'll live vicariously thru you, if you don't mind! I may even be able to make it to the Challenge in Sacramento...I'm not that far away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, I read it all and finally am caught up with your progress! I envy you and Acacia, such a wonderful and satisfying partnership you two are building.

    Autumnblaze you are correct, the untouched horses I call 'blank slates' are much easier to get next to and train. There is no having to 'undo' any negative stuff another human has done to them :/ Horses are so trusting and sweet naturally (insert 'Heart' here)

    So TrainerX you admittedly are falling in love with Acacia... you are SO gonna miss her when she is gone! But then, don't you miss all the ones that you train and sell? I know I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely sounds like a keeper ,She has chosen you! Hope you are able to swing the "buy back" when it comes

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love being able to follow this. I am cheering for you in Nebraska!

    ReplyDelete